Article in the Michigan Daily about UARTS 250
Creative Process is offered this upcoming Winter 2014 semester on Monday from 3:00-5:00pm and Wednesday from 3:00-6:00pm. See the LSA courseguide for seat availability: UARTS 250 Class #22210.
Creative Process (UARTS250) is a four-credit course that immerses students — first- year through fourth-year, from all units — in the creative process. Team-taught by faculty from each of the North Campus units, CP provides students the opportunity to pursue intensive, hands-on creative work in four modalities — sound, motion, visual images and objects, and language — any or all of which come into play in their final course project.
The objective of Creative Process is to de-mystify creativity for students in all U-M units and years: to teach students that creativity is not a character trait or an event, but a process — one that will challenge their sense of competence and mastery, but that they can understand and eventually master, transforming both themselves and their work.
The course design uses several strategies to achieve this objective.
- Intensive studio time gives students direct experience in creative work.
- An environment that recognizes “failure” as part of the creative process provides enlightenment and support for risk-taking.
- Highly skilled, accomplished, creative faculty from the four different North Campus units provide models of creative process, and expertise in different modalities for the students to try.
- Instruction in theories and research about creativity give students a conceptual framework for contextualizing their experience.
- Journals and a series of creative projects give students direct experience and the opportunity to consolidate their learning through reflection.
U-M’s student paper, The Michigan Daily, called Creative Process “one of the University’s most intriguing courses.” Learn more through the links in the drop-down menu in the left margin, and in the video above.
Creative Process is supported by the University of Michigan Multidisciplinary Learning and Team Teaching Initiative.
This year's Creative Process poster: UARTS 250 - Winter 2014
From Creative Process Winter 2011
Poster about the creative process: PDF of poster